A perpetual summation of music, science, and other variables of interest.

1.09.2008

Top 2007ish Albums: New Music

It's list season! That wonderful time of year when critics gather to arbitrarily define the year's culture in multiples of ten. No real surprises on my list -- in a strange way all the lists I've seen this year have been extremely consistent. I think the heavy hitters this year were very easy to spot on first listen. Besides the albums though, I picked some of my favorite tracks from the year -- many of which I would have liked to put on the Christmas album I toiled over last month but perhaps did not meet my rigorous criteria of short length and broad appeal. Also, note that a few albums are from 2006, mostly electronica -- ones I simply hadn't heard until recently but still wanted to include.

Artist Album Song Pick
1. Radiohead In Rainbows
2. LCD Soundsystem Sound of Silver
3. Of Montreal Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
4.
Panda Bear Person Pitch
5.
Spoon Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
6.
Beirut Flying Cup Club
7.
Battles Mirrored
8.
Justice Cross
9.
M.I.A. Kala
10.
Burial Untrue
11.
Menomena Friend or Foe
12.
Simian Mobile Disco Attack Decay Sustain Release
13.
Caribou Andorra
14.
Iron & Wine Shepard's Dog
15.
The National Boxer
16.
Apparat/Ellen Allien Orchestra of Bubbles (2006)
17.
Kanye West Graduation
18.
Blitzen Trapper Wild Mountain Nation
19.
LCD Soundsystem 45:33:00
20. Feist The Reminder
21. Lindstrom It's a Feedelity Affair (2006)
22. Animal Collective Strawberry Jam
23. Gui Boratto Chromaphobia
24. Studio West Coast
25. The Knife Silent Shout
26. The White Stripes Icky Thump
27. The Arcade Fire Neon Bible
28. High on Fire Death is this Communion
29. Holy Fuck LP
30. The Shins Wincing the Night Away
Stay tuned for the second part in this which I share some great non-2007 albums I appreciated in 2007.

No comments: